Monday, October 11, 2010

Sometimes Less is More

I love steamed vegetables. Broccoli is hands down the favorite in our household. Someone once asked me what kind of steamer I use for these veggies. I'm sure I had a puzzled look on my face because I had never really considered an "official steamer" as being part of my cooking equipment. I have always used a Pyrex mixing bowl and a plate. I bet you have a similar set up in your kitchen right now. All you need is a glass mixing bowl and a plate that fits snugly on the top.

Now this is not a fancy arrangement but it will turn out perfectly steamed microwaved vegetables every time. This was broccoli and I threw in some Baby Bella mushrooms. Layer the vegetables in the bowl, add some butter or olive oil, salt and pepper as desired, place the "lid" on the top and microwave for 3 minutes. Check for doneness and microwave in 30 sec. intervals until finished. No water needed, if the lid/plate is a tight fit steam will be created. Remember, when you take the bowl out of the microwave it will still keep cooking as long as the lid is on, and be careful when removing so you don't get burned by the steam.

It's magic, it's easy, it's healthy (but don't tell any one), it's quick and it's good. I think that about covers all the high points.

This works for any and all vegetables. You can totally omit the butter or olive oil if you are watching the fats, but a little sure does add to the flavor. I totally forgot to take a picture of the finished result, but I do have a picture of the broccoli on the plate with the rest of the meal. I'll leave you with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment